Social aid and pricing

If you are having difficulties paying your energy bills, depending on your situation, you may be eligible for state aid.

The energy voucher and the housing solidarity fund (FSL) allow low-income households to be financed, in part or in whole, for all of their energy expenses (water, gas, electricity bills) or even for home renovations.

See below the energy assistance for which you may be eligible.

Each year, from 1st of November to 31st of March, the State implements a winter break aimed at suspending eviction procedures for insecure tenants. This break also prohibits disconnection of gas, water and electricity due to unpaid bills.

If you are in this type of situation, we invite you to go to the website where you will find all the information about benefits for which you may be eligible.

The energy voucher is a grant enabling insecure households to pay all or part of their energy expenditure, or to carry out renovation work on their accommodation.

This nominal grant is sent to households that meet certain conditions with respect to their means. You do not need to do anything, if you are eligible the energy voucher is sent directly to your home.

For more information on the energy voucher, see:, or call

0 805 98 12 05 (Free call)
Monday to Friday from 9am to 8pm and Saturday from 9am to 3pm

You don't have to take any particular steps to benefit from the energy voucher.

The energy voucher will be sent directly to your home, based on two criteria:
  • the household's reference tax income
  • household composition in consumption units (CU)

Your accommodation must also be subject to housing tax even in the event of exemption.

In 2019, the energy voucher's amount increased by ¤50 compared to 2018, and there are more beneficiaries compared to the previous year.

You can see the eligibility conditions here:

The energy voucher is nominative, so you cannot pass it on to a third party. In order to use it, the beneficiary must be the holder of the energy contract for the accommodation in question.
Since 1st of January, 2018, the social tariffs for electricity and gas have been replaced by the energy voucher.
The conditions for attributions have also changed, so it is possible you are not eligible.
Go to the energy voucher site simulator to check your eligibility:
Your energy voucher cannot be used to pay several bills.
If the amount of your energy voucher is greater than that of your energy bill, the difference will be deducted from your next bill.
You can be reimbursed for an overpayment in certain cases:
  • When your energy contract ends on the adjustment invoice.
  • When you leave your accommodation, on your total account balance.

It is not possible to receive change when paying with the energy voucher.
The expiry date is written on your energy voucher. In general, it is 31st March of the year following its distribution (date of the end of the winter break).
Your supplier is not obliged to accept it after its expiry date.
Until this date, you can exchange your energy voucher for a work voucher exclusively dedicated to financing energy renovation works in your accommodation.

As a beneficiary of the energy voucher:

  • you are exempt from paying set-up fees if you>
  • you will not suffer a drop in power during winter, in the event of payment problems.
  • you will be able to benefit from reductions on costs which will be invoiced to you by your supplier.

To exercise your rights with your energy supplier you can:

  • pay an invoice with your energy voucher.
  • send them one of the certificates attached to your voucher.
  • pre-assign your certificate to them for the years to come, if you keep the same supplier.

The Housing Solidarity Fund (FSL) allows people in insecure situations to receive help for expenses related to their housing (water, electricity, gas, rent).
Each department has its own fund and establishes its own allocation rules. To find out if you are eligible for the Housing Solidarity Fund (FSL), go directly to your regional council's website.

For more information on the Housing Solidarity Fund (FSL), please contact 0 805 98 12 05 or see the public service website:

To do this, and in order to avoid any recovery and/or cut-off procedure, you can pay your balance by bank card in your customer area. You can also see our section on accepted means of payment.
In the event of payment difficulties, you can contact us on 0 805 98 12 05 so that we can examine your situation together and offer you a solution adapted to your needs.

The French Energy Code (Code de l'Energie):;jsessionid=99CECC777957B5BEC0DE584A6AEF885E.tplgfr24s_1?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000023983208&dateTexte=20190515

Unpaid bills (electricity or gas), what are the consequences?:

In the event of disputes or payment difficulties:
The site of the national energy ombudsman:
The Solidarity Housing Fund (FSL):